Saturday, April 25, 2009

Radical hope

I am in the airport at the moment, getting ready to fly out to the Philippines for the opening of our new safehome. This new home will be a safe place for children who have been rescued out of child slavery and exploitation. It will be a home where children will be restored to life again. A home where children will get their childhoods back.

I don’t think I have ever understood true celebration and radical hope until experiencing the staggering privilege of dancing and playing with children in safehomes. Children who you would think shouldn’t even have the ability to smile again, no less dance and play. I never cease to be amazed, humbled and undone by the courage and resiliency of these little ones. They are heroes.

If you would like to join in the celebration, and have a Twitter account, I will be giving live, real-time updates during my trip. (Yes, I am slowly moving into the 21st century, technology –wise). My Twitter account is: @ROBLOVE146. http://twitter.com/ROBLOVE146 Feel free to pass it on. If you don’t Twitter, you can also check out our blog at: http://love146.blogspot.com/

Here are some pictures of our new safehome. These were taken a few weeks ago. It will be completed by the end of this weekend.

The home was designed round, so that all children have equal access to the center of the home. No one is left out. There are no sharp edges or dark corners.

The staff house

The chapel

This tree house is actually our new therapy room. We didn't want to have the classic, sterile, clinical therapy room. We wanted something to represent freedom and childhood...so thus the tree house therapy room.
.
“Beauty from ashes” is no longer a vague concept or distant idea. It is a reality. To see it…changes you forever.
.
-Rob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is so awesome. Our God can do amazing things, restore things beyond what they were before including people, His power knows no end. You all will be held in prayer. What a celebration!