After pondering the question for about 5 seconds, my answer was simple…”How would that change anything”? She’s our daughter. It’s too late. She’s already been carved into my heart. The tattoo just represents something that has already happened to me. She’s already left her mark, just like each of my other children has.”
There will be times in our lives when a child is not physically with us anymore. They may go off to college or leave home to start lives of their own. We may even experience the heartbreaking loss of a child through death. Or as in the case with Honour, she may be far away, on the other side of the world still waiting for us. Proximity never changes the fact that they still belong to us. They are still our children. We are marked for life.
This “marking” is even a beautiful reflection of the extravagant love of God, who speaks through His prophet Isaiah and promises “I will never forget you. Behold, I have engraved, (indelibly imprinted; tattooed) a picture of you on the palm of each of My hands.” (Isaiah 43:15-16 amplified version)
So yes…tattoos are permanent.
So are children.
So is family.
So is belonging.
My tattoo goes a lot deeper than my skin. Love seems to do that to you.
-Rob


2 comments:
I agree her name should be on there no matter what. But, her name is on there because she is coming home to you. The marathon will be over soon.
My only question: What happens if you have another child? You're running out of room! :)
I love it and she will love it too. I can just see her running her little fingers over the letters of her name. Ah, the day is coming very soon!
I'm going to get a tattoo in the near future to commemorate Autumn's homecoming too. I'll share once I get it.
Post a Comment